Day 2 Merthyr Common, Elite Middle Distance, Non-Elite Long Distance
Saturday 19th April
Merthyr Common provides technical orienteering and is located in the Blaenau Gwent region, to the north east of Merthyr Tydfil and north of Tredegar. It consists of open limestone uplands lying between 420 m and 620 m above sea level. There are numerous pits, depressions and sink holes as well as limestone pavements and other rock features. Runnability is generally good.
This area has previously been used for several major events, e.g. Croeso 2008 (map) and Harvester 2009.
|IOF WRE status has been awarded to the Elite Middle Distance races (see also Bulletin 1)|
The following classes will be available:
- M/W10 to M/W16 A and B classes,
- M/W18, 20 and 21 Elite, Long and Short,
- M/W21 Very short,
- M/W35 to M75 and W70 classes, Long and Short,
- M80/85/90 and W75/80/85/90, Long only.
Preliminary course length details are given on the Day 2/3 course details page.
All the above are by pre-entry only.
- Novice / entry on the day courses White, Yellow, Orange, Light Green, pre-entry preferred.
- Free String course, pre-entry preferred.
Dogs: we regret that this is sheep country and that dogs are not allowed in any part of the terrain, including the car parking and the assembly area.
Start times: will be between 1000 and 1400
Weather: the current forecast for nearby Ebbw Vale can be found here. Note that the arena is nearly 100m higher up ...
- Organiser - Nigel Ferrand (SWOC)
- Planner - Pete Ribbans (SWOC)
- Controller - Tim Pribul (CHIG)
- IOF Event Adviser - Tim Pribul (CHIG)